Anger is the most common response to life-threatening experiences. It’s also considered a secondary response to sadness, depression, anxiety or fear. Sometimes such emotions may seem to arise out of nowhere. We are one of the best luxury retirement homes in India surrounded by a serene and healing atmosphere with 24/7 hospitality and care that helps seniors manage stress and enjoy their golden years without any worries.
Feeling angry always or to an extreme degree can also deteriorate relationships and impact one’s psychological well-being and quality of life. Suppressing anger can also have a damaging impact in the long run. Below we mention many tools and techniques that can help seniors identify their anger triggers and respond to them in a more healthy manner. If you or a senior loved one has been lashing out a lot, you need to understand what causes such anger issues and how can anger management therapy help contain it.
What are the major signs of anger issues?
Frequent outbursts or loss of patience isn’t always considered a sign that seniors have an uncontrollable anger problem. However, there can be many underlying consistent issues with anger that can be the cause for concern. Here we mention the most common signs of an anger management problem:
- Getting angry frequently
- Anger outbursts that are not appropriate to the triggering event
- Feeling lost when your anger is provoked by someone
- Increased Muscle tension, pumping heart rate, and other physical stress
- Unable to talk through an issue in an effective way
- Avoiding taking responsibility for problems
- Regretting what you did or said later once you’ve calmed down
Once you or your health provider have identified and understood what are the things or the “triggers” that are lashing out all the anger in you, we as one of the best luxury retirement homes in India recommend you take various steps to avoid anger or decrease its frequency. Some of the helpful ways by which you can control anger are given below:
- Avoid what’s causing discomfort as far as possible
- Comfort yourself because all you need is love and care.
- Think and plan ahead if you know what’s causing the triggers.
- Minimize most of your confusion and set a clear path.
- Take the help of memory cues as it helps in doing things by giving small memory cues. Break down the task into smaller parts and create a plan so that they can follow one instruction at a time.
- Approach your confusion calmly and softly as we all know that there may be for some reason you too need love and attention.
- Adopt a routine because setting up a routine helps the person be engaged and do the things that are familiar to them.
- Focus on your inner emotions rather than your outer behaviour.
- Do not argue unnecessarily and create negative impacts on others.
- Validate and distract yourself in an effective manner sometimes you may be doing one thing repeatedly or responding in a particular way over a period of time.
We are the most premium senior retirement apartments in Chennai whose main aim is to help seniors live happy, active and independent lives, in the comfort of their community through interactive caregiving and hospitality. We are an award-winning retirement community with two complementary goals – firstly we tend to provide quality home care services to the elderly thereby encouraging social interaction to maintain a healthy life, and secondly to facilitate stimulating community interaction and engagement. Give us a call @ 99419 9555 to know how we provide seniors with the right care at the right time.