Reports suggest that heart disease has been the leading cause of death among the elderly in India accounting for about one in every five deaths. Seniors need to know that being susceptible to cardiovascular diseases increases with age however it doesn’t need to be true. At the best senior citizen homes in Chennai, we have dedicated caregivers who make sure to keep your heart health on track with senior-friendly diets, regular yoga, and meditation along with healthy lifestyle habits. Keep reading more on various tips about how to maintain your cardiovascular health.
How to maintain heart health while aging?
- Stay active with exercise – Physical activity in any form will look after your cardiovascular health at every age. It’s suggested that 30 minutes of exercise almost every day of the week will help older adults maintain their heart health. We are the best senior citizen homes in Chennai that incorporate a daily routine that includes four types of activities regularly: yoga, meditation, walking, and exercising.
- Eat a heart-healthy diet – What you consume regularly is one of the most important factors for keeping your heart health on track. Don’t forget to:-
- Eat a lot of nutrient-rich fruits and vegetables like the rainbow of oranges, reds, greens, and more.
- Go for whole grains, like oatmeal, whole-wheat bread, or brown rice for your carbohydrate intake.
- Add some vitamin D and calcium by adding fat-free or low-fat milk along with cheese or paneer.
- Get sufficient protein by adding some seafood, lean meats, poultry, beans, nuts, and seeds.
- Let go of sugar by avoiding sweetened drinks and desserts that are high in sugar content.
- Limit your intake of foods that has a lot of butter, shortening, or other fats
- Keep your weight under control – If your someone who’s overweight, you might be at a higher risk of heart disease, high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, and bone issues. Make sure to eat wisely and stay physically active as it helps you maintain strength and healthy weight while aging. We are the best senior citizen homes in Chennai that believe that people take fewer calories as they get older, that’s why it’s recommended to take fewer calories but have nutrient-dense foods.
- Check for sleep apnea – Snoring can bother someone who’s sleeping next to you but is actually considered harmless to your health. However, when it’s accompanied by sleep apnea, it could be dangerous to your cardiovascular health. Sleep apnea is said to happen when a person’s breathing pauses while sleeping and most people don’t even know they have it.
We are sure by following these tips you can look after your heart as you age. Alternatively, you can choose to retire at one of the best senior citizen homes in Chennai where our in-house paramedical care like round-the-clock nursing, ambulance, and pharmacy on-call requests, diet-based healthy food, medical camps, and physiotherapy sessions